The Forgotten Realms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Player Created Persistent NWN2 Role-Playing World

+3
Xeneize
Solarina
Nephtys
7 posters

Set time of the server

Nephtys
    Nephtys

Set time of the server Empty Set time of the server

Post  Nephtys Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 am

Just to say I love the timeline the server is set. The best it could have I think. Juste before the major change I dislike in FR and after those I love.

I look foward to the real opening of the server.
    Solarina
    Solarina

Set time of the server Empty Re: Set time of the server

Post  Solarina Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:53 am

Agreed it is nice, and not having to deal with tons of dead gods etc etc.
    Xeneize
    Xeneize

Post  Xeneize Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

Personally I am not much into nerfing the timeline, but to nerf how they happen? by all means.

I would love to see Mystra dying and a custom plotline to ressurect her. It would give a lot of focus, awesome roleplay and a lot of new opportunities. I know I would love that my level 30 mage suddenly ends up unable to produce anything arcane wise, I would enjoy his reaction, actions and to see how players would resolve the situation.

A Coronal that if a lot of elven players are not happy about, would lose favor from the gods and consumed in the flames of Corellon.

A Lolthite silence in which players would have a custom plotline to resolve.

The possibilities of a canon timeline with custom resolutions are just, great.

However as it is at the moment is algo lovely bounce
    deserk
    deserk

Post  deserk Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:29 am

Oh personally I seriously hope the Spellplague is never portrayed, and entirely ignored. 4E killed Forgotten Realms for me and probably for most other people who've been fans of it for years.
    Keeper
    Keeper

Post  Keeper Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 pm

I completly agree about 4E's affect on the FR setting. I love how our project specifically avoids its mess.
    Xeneize
    Xeneize

Post  Xeneize Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm

//I love roleplay and it is not about leveling. All my opinions are based on the potential of roleplay, not of 'what will ruin grinding or encourage it'.

As I said, I do not mind how things are at the moment, just offered a view that could open a lot of new possibilities. Smile

Keeper
    Keeper

Post  Keeper Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Xeneize, your proposed ideas are compelling and I'm glad you have shared them. Its possible to have characters face situations in which their source of magic is cut off. Those opportunities don't always have to arise from the death of a deity though. Sharing your opinions on what you personally would enjoy on the server gives the DMs a chance to know you a little better, and that can lead to interesting things in game.
    Solarina
    Solarina

Post  Solarina Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

what is Spellplague ? you get like a disease when you cast a spell ?
    deserk
    deserk

Post  deserk Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:01 am

Solarina wrote:what is Spellplague ? you get like a disease when you cast a spell ?
    In the Fourth Edition of D&D's Forgotten Realms setting, Mystra is murdered by Cyric (she never saw that coming, eh?) and a "Spellplague" erupts causing a great instability to magic every where, and in Toril (the planet of Faerun) parts of it are replaced with parts of another planed called Abeir, and many other places are destroyed by the magical chaos such as Neverwinter, Halruaa, Lantan, and others. As well as many other nations being destroyed due to other events, as well as loads of gods.

4E is basically a big eraser wiping out the great depth Forgotten Realms had.
    Solarina
    Solarina

Post  Solarina Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 am

Sounds like they had some writers smoking crack rock then. That sounds horrible. I knew about a bunch of gods being dead, some wild and dead magic but I didn't hear about that other stuff.
    A_Roleplayer
    A_Roleplayer

Post  A_Roleplayer Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:28 am

Why not just start 4E off in it's own 'New World' and leave the classic 2E/3E Forgotten Realms alone?.....Oh....wait....let's wreck a whole generation of players memories of a well crafted world and change it to what we want!
    Solarina
    Solarina

Post  Solarina Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 am

I think one of the great things about fantasy settings is you have the power to change them. I have DM'd pen and paper D & D plenty and I always took source material as just an idea and took it in the direction I wanted and felt it should go, not just doing what some man in some game lab thought would be a good idea! Some call these house rules, I call it just good gaming and being fun. When players and DMs and people like fyrekrest create a world and characters and such, they are taken on with their own flavorings from those whom create it or them.

Myself I still use 2nd edition stuff in my 3rd edition game, we are down to twice a month in our pen and paper setting but yeah I for sure wont be having no spell plaque in my setting lol. The only dead god I have in my setting isnt truely dead but dormat for example, that god is moander the god of rot.

Fyrekrest
    Fyrekrest
    Admin

Post  Fyrekrest Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:21 pm

The Forgotten Realms is my favorite setting as well and I am not fond of what happened to the Forgotten Realms in 4e either. That is why we've chosen to start the server where we have. I feel it's a really good starting point due to the number of things which have/are taking place, and the grittier-than-usual atmosphere. A number of large kingdoms are barely holding on (Cormyr, Sembia, Zhentil Keep), some formerly abandoned civilizations are returning (Myth Drannor), and some have been mostly obliterated (Hillsfar). It serves to create a really precarious scenario in which anything can happen and tensions are still running high. In fact, the more I research the exact point in time, I'm starting to think it's my favorite time in the history of Faerun. Even the gods and their established churches are in states of turmoil! (Mystra, Shar, Lathander/Amauntor, Bane, etc)

We most likely will not be following the timeline too devotedly, though. Lolth's silence may occur, but not with the same results. The Spellplague is almost 10 years in the future, and most likely not to happen on our server. (If it did, though, I could definitely see us having a lot of fun with it, especially as a builder who got to raze all my areas and shake them up!_
    deserk
    deserk

Post  deserk Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:57 pm

A_Roleplayer wrote:
    Why not just start 4E off in it's own 'New World' and leave the classic 2E/3E Forgotten Realms alone?.....Oh....wait....let's wreck a whole generation of players memories of a well crafted world and change it to what we want!
    Yeah, it really does suck heavily that all the crap of the Spellplague is official 4e lore for FR. Not some other D&D setting, but Forgotten Realms. To me, it really isn't Forgotten Realms anymore. The designers of 4E basically decided to screw over the main fan base.

I know won't be buying any WotC products unless they fix the Realms (not to mention D&D 4E in general). Until then I'll stick with 3.5 FR or Pathfinder.

Fyrekrest wrote:The Forgotten Realms is my favorite setting as well and I am not fond of what happened to the Forgotten Realms in 4e either. That is why we've chosen to start the server where we have. I feel it's a really good starting point due to the number of things which have/are taking place, and the grittier-than-usual atmosphere. A number of large kingdoms are barely holding on (Cormyr, Sembia, Zhentil Keep), some formerly abandoned civilizations are returning (Myth Drannor), and some have been mostly obliterated (Hillsfar). It serves to create a really precarious scenario in which anything can happen and tensions are still running high. In fact, the more I research the exact point in time, I'm starting to think it's my favorite time in the history of Faerun. Even the gods and their established churches are in states of turmoil! (Mystra, Shar, Lathander/Amauntor, Bane, etc)
    Personally I prefer pre-ToT, because then you got awesome gods like Bhaal and Myrkul, and a quite a few others that were killed during the Times of Troubles. Very Happy

But this era is infinitely better the Spellplague.
    Solarina
    Solarina

Post  Solarina Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm

we need moander on the server !

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am